Thursday, July 25, 2013

Grossmont College nursing students share pride in 'Stand Down' participation






Nursing students from Grossmont College participated in the annual Stand Down event at which homeless and needy veterans on July 12-14 were encouraged to receive free medical checkups, legal advice, job counseling and other services intended to help them transition back to civilian life. Two of those nursing students shared their impressions of the event:

By Heather Airy

Have you ever seen a veteran standing on the side of the road holding a sign asking for help and wished there was something more that you could do for them? I think many people feel compelled to help and yet dismayed that they can’t do more, or do something that could actually give more than just a meal or temporary fix. If we could just give them the boost they need to get out of their difficult situations and back on their feet. I’ve had thoughts such as: Will this really make a difference? Is this person safe to approach? Will they use this money to further any addictions they have and actually dig themselves deeper into the bad situation they are in? Well, volunteering for Stand Down is an excellent answer and solution to all these questions and concerns.

It was an honor to be part of the efforts to make a difference in the lives of our veterans. I worked in the medical tent where we saw patients for a wide variety of ailments.  Through the combined efforts of doctors and nurses, we were able to help people get lab tests and ultimately the medications they needed. Patients with complex medical issues were assisted in getting the medical care they needed beyond what was available at the event. While volunteering at Stand Down, I felt safe and was pleased to see the organization of skills and resources to provide the needed services which I am certain can and will make a difference.
At this event I was impressed with the positive and caring attitudes of individuals in a well organized group.  The sincere appreciation I received from the veterans was also meaningful. Stand Down is a well organized event and I am looking forward to being part of it next year.

*
By Michelle Antunez

In order to receive my volunteer credits for my first semester of nursing school, I decided to volunteer my time to serve our veterans during this annual 2013 Operation Stand Down. This was my very first time attending Operation Stand Down, and I believe it is such a great cause, and greatly helps our needy veterans. I found that most veterans were homeless, and needed much help since they cannot provide these resources for themselves. Operation Stand Down allows all veterans to receive help, as well as provide resources that veterans don’t have access to. My main goal at Operation Stand Down was to provide the best care and attention I could to our veterans who have done all they could to serve our country.

During my volunteering, I spent most of my time triaging patients, followed by taking them inside the hospital tent for further treatment. I spend several hours calling patients into the triage area, and asking them questions to find out the reason they needed to get checked by a physician. I also took the veterans’ vitals, which included their blood pressure, pulse, and temperature and asked for any previous medical history. After their initial assessment, I took patients back into the hospital tent and took them into a room for a nurse to do further assessing.

It had been several years since I had done vitals on patients, but being around our veterans, I felt very confident and comfortable getting back into the swing of taking vitals. During the time I volunteered, I was able to interact with many different patients, from alcohol withdrawal patients, to high blood pressure patients. I was able to learn a lot from other fellow volunteers and nurses. One thing I noticed during this event is how happy and positive all the volunteers were. The veterans were also very happy they were receiving help and I could tell that many were very grateful. It was a true honor and learning experience to volunteer at Operation Stand Down, and I look forward to volunteering in the years to come as a registered nurse.

(DHH)

No comments:

Post a Comment